Foreign National Exposes Alleged Racist MRT Bullying Incident

UPDATE: MRT Bully, Mr. Liao summoned at the police precinct.

The following(video below) happened on Oct 15th, 2015 and was posted by the man who identifies himself as Christopher Raymond Hall, or DREAM清醒夢LUCID on his YouTube Channel.

2015-11-12 MRT Bully

Taiwanese netizens have been caught up in a heated debate over an incident which occurred on the Taipei MRT mid-October, when a foreign national was allegedly racially abused by a Taiwanese citizen. According to Christopher, the bully was following him and his girlfriend on a MRT train ride from Da’an Station to Shilin Station. In a 14-minute YouTube video, he tells of how he and his girlfriend were targeted by the Taiwanese man, who verbally abused the pair over their relationship.

In the bully’s own words, Christopher’s girlfriend was a “whore” for dating a “white man” – a statement which the man said left him hurt and offended.

While similar incidents are not common in Taiwan, and especially in capital Taipei, netizens have taken the opportunity to express their opinions over the alleged nationalistic, racial bullying.

In the end of the video, Christopher stressed that the racist comments were not the main issue and reason for the video, but it was how the police reacted that bothered him most.

Christopher went to the police precinct the day after the incident for a written report. However, it had been 3 weeks since the incident, Christopher claims that the police are still pushing the case back and forth between each other, trying to workout whose responsibility it is for this case.

When Shilin Police Department finally took responsibility, they called Christopher for the footage again. To make matters worse, MRT police was not aware of the fact that security camera footages from MRT trailers are deleted every 7 days. This MRT footage was crucial for this incident because it reveals who initiated the incident.

Feel free to share your thoughts below.

More: ISS, Employer of the Alleged Racist MRT Bully, Bombarded with Hate Mail

If you need help in Taiwan, take a look at our exclusive Tofu Daily CONCIERGE service here.

35 thoughts on “Foreign National Exposes Alleged Racist MRT Bullying Incident

• November 12, 2015 at 3:58 am

It’s just a loser who is jealous he can’t get a girl and blames the obvious choice a foreigner…. Same thing happens everywhere I some regard.

• November 12, 2015 at 3:58 am

An extremely ugly incident. I hope the racist bully is caught and prosecuted. Thankfully scenes like this are very rare in Taiwan. I’ve been here since1989 and have had a couple of bad experiences. In one a man tried to run me over with his car after yelling , swearing and threatening me.It was completely unprovoked.I reported it to the local police who did nothing.

• November 13, 2015 at 3:55 am

Well I believe he just expressed what most guy thought when it comes to a white man dating Taiwanese girls, but in a bloody rude and stupid way.

• November 12, 2015 at 5:00 am

公然汙辱…. 可以先神那個人出來嗎??

• November 12, 2015 at 6:20 am

It’s just guys Taiwanese guys who can’t get laid getting pissed off at white dudes pounding their girls. Typical beta male behavior.

• November 12, 2015 at 6:30 am

You should have got him to follow you outside then kicked the shit out of him. Wouldn’t solve much, but you would feel better now.

• November 12, 2015 at 7:34 am

“Alleged”?! = in your heading. What’s ‘alleged’ about it? It’s in bloody plain view. Clear-cut, vicious racism on the record. His company (ISS, it’s on the guy’s uniform) is enjoying a social media storm now…

Nobody in MRT intervenes. Why??? People lost their sense of justice? He’s not dangerous.

• November 12, 2015 at 9:23 am

i can’t believe he allowed this psycho to go on and on about his girlfriend like that. shows that he cares more about his youtube channel and the viral reaction that protecting her honor.

i’d dump him midway through recording. instead of a mic drop, how about a phone drop?

k thanks bye

• November 12, 2015 at 9:48 am

In that kind of situation, where he is following you like that, there’s not much you can do without being wrong yourself. Yeah it sucks he was saying shit about his girlfriend, but you would rather have a man who handled shit violently and ended up in jail and deported, or a guy who is quick enough to push the asshole into a corner without incriminating himself? You can’t fight with people like this.. that’s what they want. He handled it better than I would have.

• November 12, 2015 at 10:17 am

Why though?
      They both managed to solve the issue in a non-violent way. Why criticize him for it?
      In a sense, he would have been no better if he had beaten the crap out of that man, despite the horrifically racist nonsense that he was spouting.

If anything, I would commend the two of them for dealing with the situation in such a way.
      Violence without a clear outcome, is needless violence.

• November 12, 2015 at 10:43 am

Not sure how it would play out in Taiwan, but where I’m living if I beat the shit out of someone for verbally abusing my lady, I’d be the one in trouble with the police, not him.

• November 12, 2015 at 12:21 pm

I agree with you. He had to protect the girlfriend first and then talk about “Les choses de la vie”. I think the racism in Taiwan is very rare, 99.99% of people there are extremely friendly and polite to foreigners.

• November 12, 2015 at 5:32 pm

As a guy who lived there for 8 years and married a Taiwanese lady… I think you’re better off changing that number to 80%.

• November 12, 2015 at 6:04 pm

If you “drop” someone in Taiwan, it can easily lead to deportation. Many foreigners have lives in Taiwan. Families, jobs, security. A Westerner who “drops” a Taiwanese man is a stupid, stupid Westerner.

• November 12, 2015 at 11:00 pm

She doesn’t need her boyfriend to step up for her. The bully is clearly attacking both, and trying to get a reaction from both of them. They’re recording so they can report to the police with evidence. As mentioned, the video was never posted online until lack of police response. The guy didn’t “allow” him to do anything, and he’s obviously trying to de-escalate the situation.

You’re probably one of those psycho girls that expects men to bow at her feet and be treated like a princess. Get real. If you need to punish your boyfriend because of some harsh words from someone outside of your relationship, you seriously need help. Or you’re probably 12.

• November 13, 2015 at 2:49 pm

right on, angry taiwan girl. The white man child was only care to provoke the local guy and keep the recording as long as possible. His intention is clearly to get free publications.

• November 12, 2015 at 10:20 am

I am European and I used to live in Taiwan for years and I observed something like that already in the MRT only once.
    The guy back then was obviously very drunk and the one here looks drunk to me, too. I don’t want to play it down, this will happen in every country, even in Taiwan. In Taiwan, this is extremely rare and if it happens, the physical aggressivity is very low. In the west, say in the States, in Britain, in Sweden or in Germany, racists are much more aggressive and they hurt people physically.
    Racist attacks are always bad and even words can hurt. Nobody wants to experience something like that. But I want to stress that scenes like this won’t happen every day in Taipei MRT.

• November 12, 2015 at 10:46 am

If he did something he would have gotten in trouble and as much as i’d like to think he would get the benefit of the doubt, it’s more likely the Taiwanese person would be favored.

• November 12, 2015 at 11:26 am

I think how Taiwan handles it will be extremely important, especially in the face of elections. This kind of thing should not be tolerated at all, especially with Taiwan so invested in participation with the international world. The bully should at least be forced to publicly apologize to his nation for his immortalized, wretched representation of his fellow citizens. Don’t pervert this into blaming the victim of this guy’s abuse. People claim it’s not common here, but anyone who has lived here for any significant length of time has had to eventually handle people, plural, with this mentality. It often isn’t so direct, but it’s there and it’s ugly…shining a light on it is probably the best thing this guy could have done in the situation. Stuff like this withers in the light of day. I just hope the Taiwanese are brave enough to keep the light on it long enough for it to die.

• November 15, 2015 at 6:50 am

Yes. I experience racism and discrimination for being American, and I have only been here for three months. I never thought it would happen. It is unreal to me, as I have many Asian friends back home in the states, and we are very accepting of foreigners in America.

• November 12, 2015 at 12:16 pm

There are many nuts out there. Just walk away. If he follows, walk toward the crowd and get to the closest police station or call the police. Don’t waste your life on crazy people like this. I don’t even think they are racists. They are insane.

• November 12, 2015 at 2:49 pm

This ins NOT a single incident: I’ve had numerous of those, and I had several brawls, initiated by Taiwanese (who had always grouped up) – and, in 2011, I was blamed publicly on national TV that I had beaten 3 Taiwanese (…who had attacked ME in the first place). I have had many others where fights were near, but then they always backed down, perhaps I am so vicious when insulted…..
    No, no, dear expats, nearly 12 years in Taiwan, I must -regretfully- state: Taiwanese are rude and super selfish!
    My (Taiwanese) wife

• November 12, 2015 at 2:52 pm

WTF man how beta can you be? Constantly asking if you are recording. Either get aggressive and defend your gf and knock this guy out or fucking leave.

• November 12, 2015 at 4:33 pm

LOL @ anyone using the word “beta.” Go back to TRP, and leave this discussion for the adults. Thanks.

• November 14, 2015 at 10:55 pm

(Y) cheers to that man

• November 12, 2015 at 4:33 pm

You sound smart. By the words in your response, I can tell you can lift very heavy objects. good for you bro.

• November 12, 2015 at 2:56 pm

I can only concur the plurality in incidents as seen: I am in Taiwan for nearly 12 years, and I’ve had numerous encounters of such, and several brawls, in fact, in 2011 I was put on National TV for being the bad foreigner having beaten 3 Taiwanese men who had attacked me (but the TV omitted that part).
    No, no, dear all expats: Taiwanese are rude and extremely selfish – and, for nothing in the world would I continue living here was it not for my Taiwanese wife and for my American-Taiwanese daughter!

• November 12, 2015 at 7:59 pm

The people on this who are telling the foreigner he should have fought that Taiwanese guy are incredibly immature and insecure in their own masculinity. You cannot handle verbal threats with a physical response. This guy did an incredible job of remaining calm and filming the entire incident. Good job.

• November 13, 2015 at 12:01 am

I’ve had similar incidents happen to me, and normally, I’m a peacemaker. However, back in 2007, I went to a club, and a bunch of Taiwanese guys cut in front of me while I was in line. One had pushed me, and I said, “What the hell man?” Then he got in my face saying things like, “This is Taiwan; you don’t belong here – you’re not Taiwanese!” After a few seconds, he yelled, “Where the f*#! are you from?!” as he slapped me. Realizing that he was standing way too close to react to anything I did in response, I calmly turned back to him and said, “I’m from Texas B!&%h!” and ended the sentence with a right cross to his face, which sent him flying back. The security, his friends, and my friends all rushed me, but I came out of it with just a cut on my finger.

Not saying you could have done the same thing because I was hit by the slap first, but in situations like this, you sometimes have to throw down the gauntlet. Challenge him to hit you if he really wants to fight you. It either gives you a justification, or it exposes him.

• November 13, 2015 at 8:19 am

In addition to the moral problems with escalating from a verbal attack to a physical response, it is also possible that the perpetrator in this scene was trying to provoke a violent response so he could sue the foreigner, threaten to have him deported, and then collect money.
    I’ve spent about three years of my life in Taiwan over the past 25 years, and I can testify that the racism demonstrated in this video is rarely shown so aggressively. In 1992 I was assaulted (physically hit by a drunk Taiwanese guy) while I was riding a scooter with my local girlfriend (who has been my wife for over 23 years now). Funny thing is, the guy came up behind me and punched me, and before I turned around to see who it was, I assumed it was an Irish colleague of mine playing around with me. Taiwanese people are generally open-minded and friendly, and the common attitudes toward people with darker skin or foreigners in general seem to have improved over the past couple decades.

• November 13, 2015 at 8:40 am

Hello Christopher,
    I admire your patience and keep calm toward this real crap Liao in the subway. And you speak so well mandarin, so that was in your advantage.
    I would have lost my temper for sure and would be very upset.
    The only thing is that as foreigners (even married I think) we risk to be deported if ever we are found guilty…

For Liao, I wish him some weeks in prison and a fine to pay you for all the insults and the indirect threats. Thanks for sharing !

• November 13, 2015 at 9:42 am

This was totally an isolated incident. Most TW people are incredibly friendly particularly toward western foreigners. There are crazy people everywhere and their insanity can certainly manifest itself as racism. I have lived in TW for about 13 years and have only once encountered an incident like this once. That guy is crazy and your Chinese is awesome. Stay calm and be thankful that you will probably have to wait at least another 10 years before you hear about a distasteful experience like that in TW.

• November 14, 2015 at 2:53 am

Instead of making a video, take care of the situation like a real man and kick his azz.

• November 21, 2015 at 11:14 am

I don´t think Christopher should have beat that guy, but I think that he should have said more than what he said. He calls your gf a whore, at least you should say “Why? Is she a whore because she chooses by herself to date whoever she fucking wants? You can´t find a girl and you think it is my fault? Maybe the problem is not outside, it´s that you are trash and are jealous of people who are not.
    I think that all that “are you recording” is a bit shameful. But still, in that kind of situation, I have no idea how would I have reacted.

Handled it without beating his ass is still way better than “prove you are a man” and get deported, if you ask me.

• November 24, 2015 at 11:44 pm

This has also happened to me many times in Taiwan. It’s very common. I am also a British white and have been living in Taipei and Taizhong with my Taiwanese wife for more than 6 years. We have both had verbal abuse on the mrt (underground) just like Chris. My wife was also called a whore, pretty much just like in the video.

My wife and I frequently get unfriendly stares. It’s not just the men. Taiwanese women frequently tisk and shake their heads at us in disgust. Now my poor wife gets nervous and agitated whenever someone even looks in our direction.

We’ve even had racist comments at me at religous places of worship. One time as we were entering Longshan temple in Taipei (ironically a tourist attraction) one of the little temple workers (an elderly lady in blue) hissed at my wife “white people shouldn’t come in”. Confused my wife stuttered “this is my husband” to which the lady retorted “disgusting”.

Verbal abuse to whites, blacks and Indians is common, physical violence less so. However, South East Asians have it particularly bad (my wife’s brother’s wife is Philippine and like most South East Asians in Taiwan she has it worse). It wasn’t that long ago restaurants in Taoyuan were banning Philippine (or anyone who looked Philippine). Why? Because of an incident in Phillipines where a Taiwanese fisherman was shot and killed when they were illegally poaching fish in the Philippines.

We have personally known an Indonesian maid who was verbally and physically abused. Ironically, when she tried to report it (there is actually a “department” in Taiwan with a phone number who deal with this type of abuse), she was deported….

As is ALWAYS the response, Taiwanese either:

1) deny racism exists in Taiwan

2) justify it because foreigner xyz or country xyz is more racist

3) assume the incident was the “loser” foreigner causing trouble

Well done Chris and your girlfriend for having the courage to post this video.